d h

Twilight, Travel, and Treats

Reflections of a Twihard on all things twilight, travel, and treats.


There is a Twilight Convention coming to Vancouver on May 14-16, 2010 and thus far I do not have tickets. Somehow I don't feel compelled to attend - is that odd?

I consider myself to be a very big Twilight fan (well, not actually big because I'm really Alice-sized but you know what I mean). You want evidence? Well...

- I have a frickin blog where that's the first word in the title.

- I made my husband drive me to Forks last year (click to see my Forks travel posts if you haven't seen them).

Click the pic from La Push last year to see my Forks trip.

- There is a full size Edward in my closet (mind you he's hiding in his box but still I know he is there while I'm changing into my undies). Yes, he's left over from my Twilight dinner party last year.

Click to see my beautiful Twilight dinner party.

- I own, not one set, but two sets of Barbies Bella and Edward. You know, one to collect and one to play with. Mind you I only have one Jacob and it's just in case I want to re-enact Edward kicking Jacob's ass one day.
- I have forked out too much $$ for autographed stuff from Stephenie Meyer, Robert Pattinson, and Kristen Stewart. (Of note I have yet to make a detailed post about my autographed stuff from my pre-blog days - I'll have to get around to it one day.)

My latest autographed item - click to see the post

- I am diverting our wedding anniversary trip to Italy in June away from fashion capital Milan just to go to the dusty old countryside villages of Volterra and Montepulciano (note I am not into antiques or anything that is old - see my post on aging Pierce Brosnan).

- I own copies of the Twilight books in Chinese and Japanese even though I can't read them.


- I started playing the guitar just to try and learn Never Think - by the way, this has not panned out well. God bless Rob and his long fingers.

Click Rob's hands for Twilight piano sheet music

- I actually bid over $3000 on the Rob Pattinson autographed guitar on ebay last month. And no, I didn't win.



So with the above list you would think I'd be jumping at the chance to spend an entire weekend immersed in Twilight and excited about the possibility of meeting Catherine Hardwicke and Peter Facinelli. But I'm not. In fact, I feel a bit numb about the whole thing.

Am I broken? What is wrong with me? Mr. TC actually pointed out a sign to me today while shopping that said they are having a contest to win Twilight convention tickets inside the store and I didn't blink an eye and just kept walking.
(By the way Vancouverites, London Drugs is having a contest in the cosmetics department.)

I'm not sure why I'm feeling so reticent. On the one hand, in our city I actually have some professional image to uphold - hence, I try (key word here is try) to maintain some anonymity on this site. Would it be weird if you were with your teenage daughter and saw your doctor in line in front of you gushing to PFach that he did a good job suturing in New Moon?

Couldn't exactly tell PFach that he has a great ass in Supernova

Or what if you saw your gyne giggling like a schoolgirl trying to choose which Edward panties to buy? Maybe you guys don't think it would be that weird and would actually think it was cool or funny? Let me know your honest thoughts on this one.

On the other hand, and I actually feel most awkward about this reason, I'm wondering if part of me is just embarrassed at the idea of attending a Twilight Convention. It's the same weird feeling I used to get when I'd be inconspicuously walking by the now-defunct Twilight table at my local bookstore. If someone saw me there I would just walk even faster and look away. I am not judging anyone here. I am just as deep into twi-obsession as the rest of my blogging buddies. Yet, why do I feel so ashamed of this gigantic obsession when having to face it in real life?

I should be able to admit I am certainly one of these fans or worse
I am infatuated to the point of having (not one) but two blogs dedicated to Twilight yet I don't know if I can bring myself to actually go to this convention. I don't think I should have a problem admitting that I am one of those crazed fans that attends these things. Come to think of it, how many Twilight fanblogs are there that originate from Vancouver? I can think of a few celebrity sighting blogs but none that are just Twilight related. In that case, am I Vancouver's Super Twilight-fan? Oh god, would I be considered the "#1 Fan" - you know like the kind that stalked Whitney Houston in The Bodyguard? Well, that's just creepy.

Despite the crap acting I really enjoyed this movie.

On another less crazy note, I have some Thank You's to give out today.

The first is long overdue. You may recall my friend Dangrdafne's first blog post ever was about the Olympics stuff that I sent her from Vancouver. Well, she sent back a lovely box to me as well. But due to the long customs lineup at Canada Post the package arrived while I was away in Hong Kong. So I got to watch my husband open it through video chat on Gmail. In addition to a cute card these are the things she included.


Can't wait to bake my way through this book

All of Dangrdafne's followers - recognize this gift bag?
So a huge thank you to Dangrdafne - I've been meaning to thank you for a month now and everytime I see the cupcake bag on your blog I freak out just a wee bit. Go check out her blog Dangrdafne's Days of Delirium - it is a bit of sanity and purity in this crazy world of Twitardia.

Which brings me to one of the dirtiest blogs I have the honour of listing on my blogroll. A gigantic thank you goes out to Mrs. P at Twibite for the awesome shout out post she gave me last week. Twi-Mobile was created, probably like most inventions, out of pure selfishness by a frustrated iPhone user - namely me. I am grateful for all the bloggy friends that let me persuade them to join and for all the new blogs that have joined since then - including Twitarded and Twilightish.

I was quite floored when Twilightish emailed me out of the blue last week asking to join Twi-Mobile. Seriously, they emailed me :) When I heard that Mrs. P put her pimp-out Twi-Mobile post on her Facebook fanpage and then subsequently got a warning email from Facebook that the post was too explicit I felt super guilty.

Seriously Facebook, this is what you were worried about?
But also very grateful as that whole Facebook thing prompted her to post the mother of all Rob cock posts (thanks to the mad manip skills of Tina's Been Rob'd). So, big hugs to Mrs. P (or a slap on the ass because that's what I think she really likes).

And lastly, did you catch earlier in this post that I now own the Japanese book versions of Twilight as well?



I got these wonderful treasures courtesy of my brilliant cousin VL. She happens to be the Hello Kitty obsessed relative I've mentioned before in my Hong Kong posts. I was so surprised to open up the package this week - squeals! I was not expecting these at all - they are very pretty. And, indeed there is not a hope in hell that I will ever be able to read these but I don't care.



By the way, they split Twilight itself into two smaller books about a 1/2 inch thick and only about 5 inches tall. The books come with a removable movie ad-on cover that goes overtop. It also depicts some of the colour graphic novel depictions from Japan.

Japanese anime Edward and Bella
All the books come split in two parts
Remember Japan is obsessed with Twilight too? Their Twilight movie opening was almost as big a deal over there as it was in North America. They are way more twitarded than Hong Kong or China.

Wow, looks like a big deal over there doesn't it
(photo courtesy Robert Pattinson Australia)
I love how it's telling Mrs. Pattinson to give him head
(what else is the arrow to his crotch for?)
(photo from TwiCrack Addict)
They also seem to do some lovely photoshoots of Rob over in Japan. Here is one from Robert Pattinson Australia that I just had to put up.


Final thank yous to my newest followers - yeah for having over 50 followers now! I am happy to hear from you and hope that the long winded tutorials actually prove to be of some use to somebody out there :)

For our iphone/ipod users, I will be adding a Twilight iphone app and wallpaper page soon to Twi-Mobile so stay tuned.

17 comments:

Twired Jen said...

I'm tired, so bare with me. IF, I saw my primary care dr or gyn at a Twilight "function" I'd be super psyched. It would just prove once again that Twilight brings together people from all walks of life.

I truly feel it's up to you whether you go or not. There was a twi convention here in San Diego as well as LA recently...and shock of all shocks, I didn't go. Granted, San Diego only had some wolves and Volutri (gag).

The LA appearances were def better...Kellan and Ash, but I couldn't bring myself to spend the money. Esp consider Sarah and I had just been up there 3 times within 2 months to see 100 Monkeys.

Keep us posted on what you decide.

xoxo

J

Anonymous said...

what an awesome post. thank you for the shout out...but you did all the work honey!!!! i understand about the mixed emotions about the twi convention. i think it has something to do with mixing reality with our little fantasy game we play here...plus we've gotten a little oversaturated i think!!!

Musing Bella said...

I totally and completely understand where you're coming from with the convention and RL people knowing how obsessed you are. I am the same way. You already know no one in my RL knows about my blog (except my husband), and most friends know I've read and liked the books, but that's about it. Whenever I see Twilight stuff out and about, I want to go and squee over it and freak out, but I keep my cool like, "Oh, what's this? Twilight? Hmm... that seems to have quite the following, eh? How interesting." My only Twitarded friend (Mrs Fashion) doesn't want to talk about Twilight too loudly while we're out in case someone hears us (for some reason, if I'm with someone else who's into it, I'm less shy about the whole thing), so I would think twice about going to the convention, too.

I like to think the problem is other people - I just don't want to deal with the mockery I suspect would come from all of my friends and family if they found out the intensity of my obsession. People never just seem to let you be about that kind of thing, you know?

Now, if I saw my gyno out and about in Twitardia, I would think that was kind of awesome and I wouldn't be too surprised (she's kind of wacky, LOL). Plus, it would give us more to talk about while she poked around at my lady parts next time, which would be kind of nice. In fact, I'd like it if she put a Twilight poster on the ceiling in her examination room so I had something to look at while in the stirrups!

You're awesome and I think it's okay to not share the obsession with RL folks. And I agree with Mrs P about the oversaturation - the convention might be kind of a let-down if there's nothing new there for you to see. Loves to you.

Dangrdafne said...

I know I would have no problem if I ran into any of my doctors at something Twilight related, I would love to have something fun to talk about with them at my next appointment :) BUT I know how you feel about your reputation and if you think it would be harmful then you know your answer on attending the convention.

I guess my obvious question is, will you regret it if you don't go? See post on my blog if you need reminding of how to not regret things :) For me if PFach was going to be there and it was near my house, I would go because I would regret not having the chance to meet him but that is me.

My reluctance would be that if it were more kids than adults, I might not enjoy it as much. I would want to go with someone like me so we could laugh, comment and have fun with it all. Hey I could fly there to go with you ;)

Thank you for the shoutout, it was not necessary but it was appreciated.

If you go, please tell Peter I say hi ;) LOL

TongueTwied said...

@DD-PFach will be in VA/DC area twilight convention this Sunday!

TC-I laughed all through this post! Especially about a Edward doll kicking Jacob doll butt!

Damn Rob looked fine in Japan and in that Aussie photoshoot.

Do you have fond memories of Forks? I think you do.

Do you anticipate your Italy trip? I think you do.

So if the Twilight Convention fits into your current lifestyle then so be it and go without worrying about who you will or won't run into. Even if you are spotted doesn't mean you are outed for everything else. I mean I could go to a Star Trek convention tomorrow but guess what it doesn't mean I'm all into it, because I'm not, but technically I could go to one just for the heck of it. I mean what if I had won free tickets or a friend got me to go?

I guess if you are really that worried you could travel to one in the US!

I think I freakin' bow down to your obsession...err, I mean dedication. I'm way behind!

Looking forward to a May TC@TC post! (twilight cupcake @ twilight convention)

Amy said...

TC, you should have entered Oprah's biggest Twilight fan contest..is it a contest? You're very dedicated. I understand why going to a convention isn't appealing to you though. I think it's actually healthy that way. Being too immersed would just be overwhelming I think. There's only so much energy you can spend on these things right?

Honolulu Girl-Suz said...

Sometimes it's creepy how much you and I think alike. I am in the same boat as you, except my twilight convention here in Hawaii, is in December. I guess for me, it comes down to this. I like being a fan in my own way. I like creating my memories, whatever that may be. So for me going to Forks, means more to me, than the convetion and oddly enough I more stressed about Forks, than whether I will purchase tickets. I guess I could just get a one day pass, and that won't really be too costly but I just don't seem to be compelled to purchase the.

BTW, are you going to Forks?

mmMoxie said...

I don't blame you for climbing onboard the Twilight Convention train. I have no desire to go to the ones they have here in Phoenix, even if it is the home of Stephenie and Bella. I am super grumpy and irritable, especially around crowds. I don't want to be around hundreds of annoying people who are like me. Just being around myself can be too much sometimes.

QuiltNut Creations said...

some friends and i have debated back and forth about going for some of your reasons as well. i'll probably end up passing and than i'll regret it. i'm actually going to be in Calgary this weekend and PFach is there at the Calgary ComicCon; i just might have to go there instead

i bought Supernova just for PFach. it has now been added to my Twilight collection lol!

mk said...

Ok, how about we go together.... and we agree beforehand that if you run into any of your patients, you say "oh, I'm here as a favor for my friend 'mk' - she's a real twilight nut!" .... and vice versa with me!

yay, problem solved!

Missed you tonight, saw Mr. tc... maybe we go see remember me tomorrow? I guessed the surprise ending from a review that was very 'leading' - my sister got super mad at me for guessing it - "why can't you just leave things alone and go enjoy the movie!!!" Anyway, she's in cancun now, miss her. Heard your mom is in town... did she bring you any twilight things... she is such a good mom to enable your obsession. Heard Mr. tc is making more progress on the guitar than you - shame!

ok, talk soon,

twilightcupcake said...

@Twired Jen - I was wondering about that since I know they've had conventions in your area and never heard of you going. But then I remembered about the 100 Monkeys and so you obsess in different ways. You are right that the Volturi and wolves are less of a draw for sure.

@Mrs. P - yes it does feel like going to the convention would bring fantasy to a head straight on with reality. When I am travelling with MK or my hubby it is easy to stay in our own little bubble without being confronted with other twihards.

@MB - love that you act the same way. I really like the idea of a twilight poster being above the examining table.

@Dangrdafne - your latest post about regret really has got everyone worked up :) If I go I'll say hi to Peter for you.

@TongueTwied - you bring out good points. I definitely have fond memories and I doubt that I would not have a good time. You are right that if I'm spotted then I am just outed like everyone else.

@AmyJoon - I would have entered the contest except the "have to agree to appear on Oprah" part stopped me. I love you say there is only so much energy we can spend on these things - says those of us who spends hours editing beautiful pictures of Rob & Kristen!

@HG - I am undecided about Forks. I know it is so close to me and I have done the trek before. Honestly I know that no one is closer than me except red bella and Vitamin R. Are you going for sure? Dangrdafne has kindly offered for me to even stay with her - bless her heart!

@mmMoxie - LOL - being around myself can also be overwhelming. It would be so high energy and I don't usually mind that but the tweenies bug me.

@Quilt Nut - ooh, never thought to buy supernova. Sigh I am sure if I don't go I may regret it so you are right.

MK - your response is actually the most compelling because you are actually offering to come with me and shoulder the blame! You are in the same boat my dear - i guess you don't care as much if your patients see you there. Or you can just blame me and say you are here with a friend ;) Seriously do you want to go? I will if you will!
Yes, I sent you a fb message and email about seeing Remember Me Wed night...

Thanks for the input guys. I think I'm erring on the side of GOING :) We'll have to see...

Stoney said...

If they had a convention in St. Louis I'm not sure if I would go.

I have the "too cool for school lunch" syndrom and I would probably avoid it just to make a point. LMFAO.

I prefer the type of "conventions" we are having in Forks. Fun - like minded - ADULT - people coming together for a good time not crazy merch and seminars and the like. There is not enough beer at conventions.

sparkle for twilight said...

TC, I get where you're coming from because I'm the same way. I'm kind of blah about the convention myself. I think it would be fun if you went with a group of friends, but really I think that it's more because we're into the story itself and I get the impression these conventions cater to too many tangents off the books. Do I really care about getting some "Quileute-inspired" body art or attending a Voluturi costume ball? No...

Although I can't deny if I ever ran into Catherine, I'd definitely want to have a chat with her about the film!

By the way, congratulations on all the buzz over Twi-Mobile! It's going to be the next biggest thing ;)

twilightcupcake said...

@Stoney and @Sparkle - I am glad to see you both kind of feel the same way. The Volturi ball and other things don't appeal to me. The only thing pulling me in is to meet PFach and Catherine Hardwicke. Forks is a bigger pull for sure...

Raitz said...

You could host your own convention with all the cool swag you have, TC! Love the Japanese books.

I get nervous about RL and Twi-Life colliding too... I think conventions are generally pretty safe territory, though (unless you plan to dress up in Bella's "Isle Esme" lingerie, or wear an "I f*ck vampires" t-shirt or something... then you might need some sunglasses and a wig too!!!)

I'm from Vancouver - wouldn't it be funny if you were my either of my two sisters' gyne!?! (BTW, your secret would totally be safe with them...)

17foreverlisa said...

I cannot believe I missed this post!! I seriously need to clean up my email inbox and get used to emails not being marked as "unread" if I peek at them on my cell phone at work.

At any rate, this is one awesome post. I know you have a dilemma to discuss, but your pictures, stories, links to past posts, etc., are amazing as always. I just love you and your blog.

I have to be honest and say that if I had the chance to go to a convention near my home and meet PFach, and especially Catherine Hardwicke, I would definitely go. Of course, I'm not a doctor, nor do I play one on TV ;)

I understand what you're saying, but I also agree with several other commenters. It wouldn't creep me out at all to see my doctor at a Twilight Convention. Quite the contrary...it would humanize her and validate me. LOL!

I would not, however, have any desire to go if only some of the wolf pack or humans were the only ones there. It would have to be a main cast member, SM, and/or a director.

A friend/follower, Twilove1, went to one with her daughter. She had reservations about going, too, but ended up having a blast. She didn't do anything crazy like dress up for the ball, either.

Can't wait to hear what you decide to do. MK's offer is also too sweet to pass up, girlie!

Lisa

twilightcupcake said...

@Lisa - thanks for the Twilove1 info - I'll have to tweet with her.