d h

Twilight, Travel, and Treats

Reflections of a Twihard on all things twilight, travel, and treats.

This post is not about Mrs. Pattinson (that's Twibite's territory) but it does relate to Rob's Mom. I'll get there, just stay with me...

Unlike the rest of you out there I did not rush out to go see Remember Me. I waited until the absolute last possible moment to succumb to the guilt and finally gave in. I was lucky to have my good friends MK and Mrs. R join me at the only place that was still running the movie this week. My suspicions were that if we didn't see it this week then we'd be waiting for the DVD. Of course, I'll buy it anyways...

I did NOT see the Chinese version
(pic courtesy of Thinking of Rob)

Most of you have seen it so I'm not going to rehash the plot and for those of you who haven't I'm not going to spoil it for you.

First of all, this movie was a wake up call.

Up until last night I viewed myself as a Robward fan and frankly, embarrassingly, had not seen Rob in anything else other than Twilight except for his brief role as Cedric Diggory in Harry Potter. I was prepared to be disappointed just because I was worried I'd notice his terrible New York accent and that he might be a bad actor.

Well I was really impressed by Remember Me. Rob proved to me that he is a good actor and that he is just being held back by a poor screenplay in the Twilight Saga. I'm sure many of you knew this already and never doubted him but I had to see it for myself.

Things of note in Remember Me:

Did anyone notice in the fancy restaurant dinner scene how strangely he holds his fork? Check out the video below at point 1:11. Maybe it's just because he's British (or possibly gay)? It was so odd that I don't remember the dialogue but just kept staring at his fingers.



Where does the Rob's Mom part come in?


Here is Rob with his Remember Me onscreen sister Ruby Jerins and mom Lena Olin.

I did not know that Lena Olin was in this movie. If I had I probably would have seen it sooner.

Lena Olin aka Rob's Mom
You see, I've had a wee bit of a girl crush (to use a Twired Jen term) on Lena Olin since I was young. I don't even know when it started. Have you ever seen The Unbearable Lightness of Being? Well, despite how erotic it was I couldn't have fallen for her because of it since I was only 12 at the time.

Rob's Mom in 1988
Maybe it was the Roman Polanski flick The Ninth Gate from 1999 that made me start following her. I originally saw it because it was a Johnny Depp movie.

Johnny Depp and Rob's Mom Lena Olin
She was haunting in her role in Chocolat (another Johnny Depp movie) as a battered wife.


And most recently Rob's Mom played an evil sexy mom to Jennifer Garner in the television series Alias.

Imagine if Rob and Jennifer Garner were siblings?
So, Remember Me left me thinking about Rob Pattinson and Jennifer Garner as siblings. It also made me go "isn't that sweet? sigh..." every time he was with his on-screen younger sister.

Ooh, isn't that sweet? He looks so cute doting after her.
Lastly, and the saddest part of this post, this movie reminded me that Rob is really just a kid. He is only 23 and although that is the same age I was when I got married so he is technically an adult, it does remind me that I am celebrating my 10 year wedding anniversary. You'd have to swap the numbers in my age to make me the same age as him and that just isn't right.

What really brought it home that he is an infant? The famous backpack shot from the cafe.

Seriously he is so a kid.
At least he's wearing both straps so his back
won't get hurt when he grows up.
On a totally separate note, I think I'm going to the Twilight Convention in May. Thank you to everyone for weighing the options with me. Ultimately my best friend MK chiming in on the comments offering to come with me and give me an alibi in case I'm caught by a patient was the push that I needed. Yeah to meeting Peter Facinelli and Catherine Hardwicke in 3 weeks :)

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

PMSL!!!!! OMG!!!! The fork!!!!! I was PEEING myself when I saw it...WTF is up with that????

Oh shit...too funny.

Now, the mom. I LOVED her in Chocolat...LOVED her. She is awesome

The backpack is something that caught my eye in the trailer and thought...Um..no one over the age of 8 wears it that way...at all.

Funny post...loved it!

Stan said...

How did I not notice the fork before? That is seriously the sort of crap that I usually notice straight away (Beacob's nails anyone?). Anyway, def not a Brit thing, unless it's a middle-class Brit thing, I'd have no idea about that ;o).

Oh, and I can't be the only one to get a fork out to try and work out how he must be holding it - am I?

Dangrdafne said...

I am so glad you saw the movie and you enjoyed Rob's performance.

When I paused the video to really look at his hand on the fork, Emilie is looking down at his hand and I swear she is probably thinking "WTF?" Too funny. I do remember (haha) noticing this in the theater but had forgotten until now.

I love Lena Olin too. She is beautiful. Alias was an great show. I miss it.

I am so happy that you are going to the convention. No regrets :)

Happy 10th wedding anniversary. That is the same for my hubby and me.

Honolulu Girl-Suz said...

I just love seeing the world through the eyes of others.

First off, Lena Olin. Damn! I did not even recognize her but I do remember her character in The Ninth Gate. She was like the devil, right?

Anyway, the clip with the Rob eating. It's strange but I'm cringing just watching it again for the simple fact that I really hated their attempts at New York accents. This is why Rob should not ever be considered to play Kurt Cobain. His accent... yikes.

Anyway, more importantly I'm glad that you finally got to see the movie and hopefully enjoyed it?

Last... Happy 10th Anniversary! That is a milestone.. and may you have many more decades of romance to come.

Twired Jen said...

Um.....Did you see the way he holds his wine glass? PMSL! What a FA...wait...ok not gonna say that. I would be making fun of THE PRECIOUS. Can't do that.

xoxo J

hmmmm...makes me want to see this movie again. Definitely didn't LOVE it, but definitely buying it. just sayin'

xo Jen

twilightcupcake said...

@Mrs P - the backpack is just too funny. I think about him in all these sex poses normally and then the backpack thing - totally incongruent.

@Stan - I have not tried out the fork thing yet. I'd have to watch it again just to figure out what the hell he is doing. Let us know how it goes.

@Dangrdafne - oh I didn't notice she was watching him. I'll have to go back and check. So observant...

@HG - yes I think she plays the devil. Totally drawn to these dark characters, esp evil women. Is that strange? I don't want to see him do Kurt Cobain either. The accent thing I tried to ignore and it wasn't too hard for me since I'm too Canadian ;)

@Twired Jen - gotta go back and see the wine glass. You can't make fun of the Precious? What else do we blog for :)

Thanks for the anniversary wishes - I'll have Italy planning posts soon.

Stan said...

@TC, my conclusion is that he must have very long and flexible fingers ;o). Couldn't get mine to do it lol! I think he has them all resting on the fork down the handle.

twilightcupcake said...

@Stan, oh the long fingers again.

TongueTwied said...

I loved Lena Olin in Alias. She was SO BADASS! It was almost strange to see her so passive in this movie. I don't know what her beauty secrets are but I want them! She looks wonderful.

Did you ever see her in "Polish Wedding?" It is worth checking out if you haven't seen it. One minute she's on her hands and knees scrubbing the floor and the next minute she's caught up in a torrid love affair with the actor who played the bad guy in "The Saint." It is a funny scene. And Gabriel Byrne is in it. I looove him!

Prior to Remember Me I had joked with the twitards about imagining (okay fantasizing) a college Rob and me in a certain college place and yet during the movie I laughed thinking he never looked LESS sexy to me than in that blue shirt with the backpack on! LOL

TongueTwied said...

Oh! And Lena working with Depp and Rob, lucky b*tch!