It has come to my attention that my post needs some clarification for those of my friends who aren't as techie.
- about 20% of blog followers use their phones (iphones, Blackberrys, Palms, Androids, etc.) or mobile devices (ipod touch, Kindle) to connect to the internet
- you care about this post because
A) you have a blog and you want your followers to be happy and to keep following you
B) you are a blog follower and have one of the mobile devices above and want your favourite blogs to have mobile versions
- viewing a regular blog on my iphone looks like this
- if you have a mobile theme the homepage looks like this
And the posts look like this
See isn't the mobile version easier for people to read??
- iphones have a desktop like a Windows or Mac desktop where people can bookmark web pages like your blog and it will create an icon for that page
- with a regular Blogger blog the bookmark icon will be boring and generic (see the 2 on the right)
- if you create a mobile blog you get a cute icon for those iphone users and it will remind them of you :)
- it would be awesome if our followers with iphones could have a whole desktop page with just our cute twilight blog icons
See my cute iphone app icons on the left?
|iphone app icons and the difference a mobile blog makes|
The one on the left is of course my newest Blogger button. The second to the left is my old Wordpress mobile button and the two on the right are my iphone bookmarks for a couple of my favourite blogs Twibite and Twi-sted Edbrella. I am hoping that (hint hint) my bloggy friends will join me in the mobile site world so they can have cute app icons too.
Back to original post...
If the icons aren't enough and if you don't use a mobile yourself, consider this. Last year over 60 million people used their mobile devices to connect to the internet at least once a week and 22 million of those did that everyday. It just seems wrong to not have a mobile friendly blog.
I'm not sure how many of you have an iphone, ipod touch, Blackberry, or other mobile device that you use to access the internet. I know Honolulu Girl at TrueBloodTwilight and myself love our iphones and I spend lots of time glued to ours. Hence, the ability to play Drunken Mad Libs with you whilst on the road (don't worry Mr.TC was driving).
Before I converted to Blogger it was essential that I could create a mobile version of my blog or I was not switching. One of the things I liked about my old Wordpress blog was that it automatically created a mobile version that was streamlined and easy to use.
So on my new blog have you noticed that I added a "Mobile Version" link? It was a menu tab before but looked too much like a category so I moved it.
I created my new mobile blog at Mofuse and it was free! Go to the bottom of their page to see the free blog link.
This is what my Mofuse mobile blog looks like on my iphone
|With white background|
|Custom colours and logo|
|simple design but lacking any personalization|
It was very quick to use Mofuse. My site has one ad link at the top that I don't control. If I wanted a completely ad free mobile site all I'd have to do is pay $7 a month for Mofuse Premium and it would be gone.
I was able to get my own mobile domain name in less than a minute - twilightcupcake.mofuse.mobi
You don't have to do anything but give it your RSS feed URL and it will create your site for you with a nice default blue and white theme.
If you want to do custom colours and a logo to match your existing site it takes another minute.
To add an iphone icon like mine that will be displayed if someone bookmarks your mobile blog on their iphone, you just go to iphone settings and upload a 57 X 57 pixel image.
Also I added a link back to my desktop/regular html blog on the homepage and at the bottom of each post there will be a link for people to click back to the desktop/regular html version.
For those of you who already host ads on your blogs you can monetize your Mofuse blog too.
All I had to do was put a nice link or button for people on the blog since there is no automatic redirect in Blogger. They have good default ones but they didn't quite match my new theme.
Lastly, even if you don't have an iphone or other mobile device to see your own mobile site, no worries. It has a preview section so you can see what it looks like on a phone. In the US, people can enter their phone number and your mobile site URL will be sent directly back to their phone.
Pros of using Mofuse:
- easy and quick - can take as little as 5 minutes
- own mobile blog domain name
- custom colours and logo to match your regular site
- no need to update as it uses your RSS feed
- MOST IMPORTANTLY - cute iphone app icons
Cons of using Mofuse:
- will add one ad at the top of your mobile blog unless you pay $7/month
- must click back to original post to add comments
- no automatic redirect available on blogger yet - some people see this as a pro so people can choose
- cannot view PNGs apparently
Okay, next post will be about fanfic and my new Edward and Rob avatars.
If you have questions, comments, or want me to set up your mobile blog for you just let me know.