d h

Twilight, Travel, and Treats

Reflections of a Twihard on all things twilight, travel, and treats.



My youngest turned 5 recently and wanted a Lego birthday. I debated between making him a Lego cake covered in fondant or doing something easier. Since he loves chocolate I decided to make chocolate Lego men on cupcakes instead.

I started out with a Lego figurine ice cube mold from Lego.com (thanks Santa).





Since I was making these for kids I opted to melt chocolate chips rather than really going through the task of tempering chocolate. The chocolate chips can result in an oxidized waxy look after a couple of days but the kids wouldn't care.





Since I'd be refilling the piping bag very often and remelting the chocolate I used a ziploc bag with the corner cut off instead of my standard parchment paper cones.
Goes in the freezer for 15 minute and pops out of the silicone easily.





Stays smooth and shiny for a day so if you care about this don't make then too far in advance.





Where are the Lego CSI guys? Note overfilling the mold is hard to fix unless you remelt them - or just let the birthday boy eat your mistakes!





Finished products on vanilla Italian meringue buttercream (Martha Stewart recipe) on devil's food cupcakes.

All in all a hit with boys young and old.

9 comments:

TigerlilyRose said...

TC! those are so cute! Good Job Mom!

mmMoxie said...

AWESOME! I am so making these for my son's b-day this year. Thanks for the post.

twilightcupcake said...

Thanks ladies. These really were great for the kids and super easy to do compared to everything else!

TongueTwied said...

So adorable! Such a cute idea!
The last picture looks right out of a magazine!

Happy Birthday little lego-man!

Dangrdafne said...

I love them!!!

You are so talented.

I just said to my hubby the other day that I want to get into making cupcakes!

Any suggestions for yummy, easy frostings?

Happy Birthday to the Lego Boy ;)

Jayla said...

They look yummy!

DH works for Lego corp. I will definitely send him the link. He loves to share what people do with Lego anything.

twilightcupcake said...

TT - thanks I took so many photos it was hard to choose the right one. I didn't even have the energy to play around with post processing to make them look nicer so glad it turned out okay.

DD - thank you :) easy frosting - if you want classic American buttercream which is quite sweet the Wiltons chocolate buttercream works well. It is half shortening and half butter which sounds gross but is quite good to work with and eat. You could use butter for the whole thing but it's gets, well, very buttery. The one I linked to in this recipe is more complicated with a candy thermometer but is much lighter and less sweet and more like a classic pastry cream.

Jayla - I just told my DH that your DH works for Lego and he got all excited. Did you know my boys are obsessed with Lego? I'll have to do a Lego Harry Potter post just so I can tell the eldest that you might show them to your hubby :) I'm sure they've seen stuff like this before but thanks for thinking of me! What does your DH do?

Honolulu Girl-Suz said...

TC, your cupcakes are always beautiful.

So, I was watching cupcake wars last night and I'm ready to try dessert. Help me. I'm more Team Meat, so making light and airy desserts are not my thing. Do I need a Kitchen Aid to make my batter?

ms. ambrosia said...

These are really cute! I don't do a lot of chocolate molding, but I'm beginning to think I should branch out a little. And I'm dying to try modeling chocolate, something else I have yet to tackle.