d h

Twilight, Travel, and Treats

Reflections of a Twihard on all things twilight, travel, and treats.

Wow, a treats post for once. It has been almost two months since I've posted a dessert recipe review.

First of all, I CAN eat gluten yet this cake is so good I would choose to have it even if regular cake was around.

Note that my husband is very very picky and not easily impressed. Yet he said this dessert could have easily been served at a fancy restaurant.

My good friend Mrs. R had us over for dinner the other night and her son J has celiac disease and thus needs everything to be gluten-free. She hadn't made this recipe before but thought it looked promising and we were both up for an adventure.

Decadent Gluten Free Chocolate Cake
by John D Lee found on here

Photo: Paul Goyette (flickr)

Ingredients:

3 X 100gram, 70% cocoa dark chocolate bars
1 1/2 cups of sugar
1 1/4 sticks of butter
A pinch of salt
5 eggs

1) Pre-heat oven the oven to 350 degrees.
2) Over a double boiler with barely simmering water underneath, melt the chocolate and sugar, salt, and butter together.
3) When smooth, remove from heat and let cool for a couple of minutes.
4) Meanwhile, beat the eggs.
5) When the chocolate has cooled slightly, fold the eggs in and pour into an 8 inch greased cake pan or pie plate.
6) Bake for 40 minutes, or until a fork inserted comes out pretty clean.
7) Let cool for a few minutes and serve still warm.

Serve with vanilla ice cream and coffee.


Photo: Paul Goyette (flickr)




So, here's my two cents.

First of all Mrs. R shelled out for Lindt's 70% dark and Green & Blacks organic dark chocolate.
The instruments to melt everything together was confusing. Melting chocolate in the double boiler is easy but getting the granulated sugar to melt didn't happen. We initially microwaved the chocolate to almost melt and then the butter melted right in over the double boiler but the sugar never did. When we put it in the oven it was still gritty and Mrs. R was so nervous I think she started defrosting another dessert.
We tempered the eggs with a bit of the batter before folding the eggs back into it.
It baked up perfectly at 40 minutes.

Our cake did not look like the one in the photo. The cake had a crackly texture on top rather than the smooth ganache shiny look but it was still pretty, just a variation. Mrs. R dusted it with some powdered sugar. We had it with ice cream and it was so good!

Crunchy on top, gooey in the middle, and just a bit chewy at the base. I was too busy eating to even take a photo.

So, thumbs up for the first gluten-free recipe on this blog. Hope you enjoy it!

Lastly, Mrs. R is a closet twihard. She came with me to the pre-midnight showing of New Moon and also Remember Me. She surprised me at dinner with something sweet.

New Moon chocolate bar - oh an Edward one
She also knew that I would never eat it but it would end up in the vault. So hungry right now though...

What's your favourite Twilight food?

10 comments:

Nessa Lomiva said...

OMG, that cake looks yummy. What's the deal with gluten free food anyhow? I am pleading ignorance in this case.

I've never had ANY Twilight food, so I couldn't tell ya. I would love to know all the variety there of Twi food that's out there.

Twired Jen said...

OMG that looks sooooo good! Elusive S makes a flourless chocolate cake...wonder if it's similar? If so, it's DELICIOUS. Considering I'm PMS-ING...you're killin' me with this one.

ALSO...I know Celiac disease is REAL. But do you think some people try to eat gluten free because it just makes them bloated and uncomfortable if they don't?

I feel like their is this new trend of people asking me for Gluten-free restaurants. Whereas before it was rare. OR is Celiac disease just more easily diagnosed??


xoxo Thanks for sharing!!!
J

twilightcupcake said...

@Jelena - gluten is in many things like wheat or rye and thus basic flour. Some people have celiac disease where they are actually allergic to gluten - can responsible for intestinal bleeding and anemia and even been linked to infertility (although I can't understand the mechanism for that one). See answer below too to Jen that helps you understand.

@Twired Jen - I have quite a few patients who are not truly celiac but just gluten intolerant. A lot of women feel bloated and uncomfortable like you said so they cut it out and feel better. More energy, less bloated, sometimes just "healthier" if that makes any sense.
Plus, it is being diagnosed more. They had a huge push 2 years ago for us to diagnose more people and we have been. About 2% of population (1 in 50 is quite a few)

LuvsMeSumEdward said...

Hmmm...I wonder why the sugar didn't melt? So you melted the chocolate before putting it in the double boiler? Do you think that is why? I would think it would just melt like it does when you're making a swiss meringue. I'm glad it turned out well anyway :) My sis just got me the same candy bar on Sunday...I'm not opening mine either!

twilightcupcake said...

@Jessica - honestly not sure. Sugar usually melts. Even when I make a regular batter or icing, although I usually am creaming it with butter. But I actually never make swiss meringue and just the italian kind so it's sugar syrup (so cheating) then I don't have to worry. Well, it did taste good and still looked pretty.

17foreverlisa said...

Sounds amazing!! Hope Dangrdafne sees this post when she gets back :)

Lisa

Nessa Lomiva said...

Interesting. I try to listen to my body and avoid foods that don't agree with me. Usually this involves some form of sweets, which is why I don't eat them that often. I also think I'm a bit lactose intolerant, because drinking milk and eating too much cheese makes me feel bloated.

My mom recently did a test to find out what sort of foods she's allergic to, and the list is endless. She did this a few years ago as well, and curiously enough, the list has changed.

toboer pearls said...

My mom recently did a test to find out what sort of foods she's allergic to, and the list is endless. She did this a few years ago as well, and curiously enough, the list has changed.

Trixie and Tess said...

Gluten Free or Gluten (I really don't know what all that means, but it seems like GF usually doesn't have flour and such)...that cake looks and sounds DELISH!!! I think splurging for good chocolate is key!

Also, I LOVE the Edward chocolate bar!

Tess♥

Dangrdafne said...

I could go on and on about the gluten free life as I have lived it now for the past 10 years. For me, I believe I only have the intolerance to gluten/wheat and not actually celiac disease. I can not eat anything made with wheat flour - so no bread, pasta, pretzels, cookies, cakes, pancakes/waffles, etc UNLESS it has no wheat or gluten. These things do exist that use corn flour, rice flour and a combo of some other fours. Some of these items taste better than gluten items, some taste worse. For me, if I eat a gluten items I will be bloated and sick within an hour of eating the offending item. The gluten affects my digestive tract and irritates it to where it makes me eliminate things from my body too quickly. If I didn't eat gluten free eventually my digestive tract would not function any more and it would lead to many other horrible diseases. Gluten intolerance and celiac disease also affect the immune system and it is what first alerted me to my problems. It is not fun BUT thank goodness gluten free items exist. It is much more expensive to eat this way BUT it is cheaper than being sick all the time. I can't wait to make this cake!