d h

Twilight, Travel, and Treats

Reflections of a Twihard on all things twilight, travel, and treats.

19.10.10

The Hunger Games


Well I finally read something other than Twilight. HonoluluGirl is a huge fan of The Hunger Games and its sequels Catching Fire and MockingJay. She had tried to convince me in the Sea-Tac airport to read it. Then my good friend YS also mentioned this weekend how it was very good. So I gave in.

This book sucked me in because it had the first chapter for free on pdf. It was so easy to just buy the book after that as I had to know what would happen.

The story is set in the future in some post-apocalyptic world and involves turmoil and war. That was enough to put me off reading the series entirely. Mr. TC loves post-apocalyptic stuff and zombie stories so I thought this would be more up his alley.

Well, I was surprisingly enthralled. As with Twilight I zoomed through it very quickly - read all three books in less than 48 hours. YS thinks I'm nuts but if I don't do it this way I'll lose interest and never finish them.

I won't bore you with my synopsis but here's the teaser from the official site
Could you survive on your own, in the wild, with everyone fighting against you?Twenty-four are forced to enter. Only the winner survives. In the ruins of a place once known as North America lies the nation of Panem, a shining Capitol surrounded by twelve outlying districts. Each year, the districts are forced by the Capitol to send one boy and one girl between the ages of twelve and eighteen to participate in the Hunger Games, a brutal and terrifying fight to the death - televised for all of Panem to see.

Survival is second nature for sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen, who struggles to feed her mother and younger sister by secretly hunting and gathering beyond the fences of District 12. When Katniss steps in to take the place of her sister in the Hunger Games, she knows it may be her death sentence. If she is to survive, she must weigh survival against humanity and life against love.

WINNING WILL MAKE YOU FAMOUS. LOSING MEANS CERTAIN DEATH.
You can read the first chapter here for free.

There's a strong willed feisty unlikely hero and a love triangle. What more do you need? Oh yeah the writing is pretty good too. And they're making it into a movie soon.

I read it on my iPad. You can't buy it from Amazon or iBooks in iPad/Kindle format in Canada so my only option was to buy it from Kobobooks on my iPad using their app. It was amazingly easy and I am officially a fan of theirs.

Let me know what you think when you've read it.

4 comments:

QuiltNut Creations said...

just finished MockingJay on the weekend; really enjoyed the series and excited that there could be a movie.

twilightcupcake said...

@Rhonda I think there is definitely going to be a movie. They're discussing directors now but wondering who will be Katniss of course.

Honolulu Girl-Suz said...

I'm so happy that you enjoyed it. Honestly, I was like you. When I first looked at the cover, I was like "nnnooo" The book cover is butt ugly-but I get it now and I did really enjoy it. I think it's funny that when my husband read the book, he pictured Kristen Stewart as Katniss. See? My twilight is rubbing off on him.

Twired Jen said...

I totally forgot to read this. Oops!
Hi TC ;) So...I am 150 pages into Catching Fire and loving it. HOWEVER, because of my new job, it's a slow go. I have either been too tired to read or distracted by catching up on blogs, email, bills, errands....I'm hoping to finish it this week. My Mom is actually reading The Hunger Games and LOVING it, more so than she did Twilight *GASP!*...

xo J