d h

Twilight, Travel, and Treats

Reflections of a Twihard on all things twilight, travel, and treats.

Hello everyone!

I've missed you all and of course missed all the Eclipse/MTV/convention news too. Thank you for keeping your blogs so well updated so I had a chance to catch up.

You know how I love writing epic long posts? Um, I've lost that compulsion now. My type A personality is still on vacation and got left behind somewhere between Venice and Florence and I don't know when it's coming back.

The following weeks worth of travel posts might be in point form okay?

Before I start, how about I show you what Twi-loot I brought back home?


Imagine the delight that Mr. TC had dragging our suitcases all over Europe on trains and cobblestoned streets. Yes, I bought a hard cover copy of Twilight in Italian on day 3 and lugged it around til day 14 when we got home.
I'll show you in detail what I bought in each city when I get to that location.

Our two week trip itinerary went
London
Venice
Bologna
Florence
Tuscany (Volterra/Montepulciano)
London again

Today's post:
London



First off things I did NOT do
- go see the wax Robert Pattinson figurine at the Madame Tussaud's museum
- hunt down Rob's birthplace and acting school or any of his previous haunts (seriously considered this but thought it would be way over the line for Mr. TC)
- any regular touristy stuff that we did last time we were here like museums and things regarding the Queen

Only Twilight purchase

UK Elle I lugged around for 2 wks - worth it!
loved seeing Rob's face in the Tube stations
Flight

view from my seat over Iceland
- flew British Airways 747 - note they were on strike and only had 12 crew for the whole plane.
- sucks for those in business or first class during a strike as you still only get offered "chicken or fish"
- our flight attendant lamented the whole time about how BA used to be about service and that she'd get fired if she wasn't there - made for an entertaining flight
- they gave free extra alcohol and snacks the first time around so they wouldn't have to come back - score!

Hotel
- took the Tube/Subway there from Heathrow - note it might look like it's on the same line and you'll think it's only 45 minutes but it's not worth it
- pay the extra money for the Heathrow Express and take a taxi from Paddington station to your hotel
- stayed at Intercontinental London Park Lane - 5* with 4/5 rating on tripadvisor

Intercontinental London Park Lane lobby
- great discount using Hotwire (see my post if you don't know how to use Hotwire)
- couldn't figure out how to get from the Tube station to our hotel as we had to go back underground - walked in front of the same group of people four times totally lost - damn tourists!
- 8 minute walk along Park Lane to busy Oxford Street
- felt like a good 4.5* hotel - adequate room and nice washroom


too tired to have the forethought to take photos first sorry
- only complaint - we had a nice Bang & Olufsen TV but couldn't figure out how to turn it off - and this is with my husband the computer guy - ended up unplugging it

Food

Loved this - we spent a couple hours walking around having brunch on Saturday at Borough Market




Kangaroo burger - overcooked but had to try it

Super tasty!

Mr. TC was in heaven for raw clams and oysters

awesome way to melt half a wheel of cheese
my cheese bubbling away
yummy raclette - cheese on potatoes, gherkins, and pearl onions
these meringues are gigantic
the weirdest orange and blue - reminds me of my monkey cupcakes
yes this guy is selling fudge
cheese and meat - holding off until Italy

Had to ask what a Bap was - reminder Canadian English is different

giant scallops with bacon bits 
made me think of Dangrdafne :)
Brownies so good our friend has filled up two frequent eater cards

Outside of Borough Market
mini pies so pretty
super cute petit fours - wonderful gifts
see the filter? they just pour hot water right over the cups, so efficient
Dinner at Fifteen London


Mr. TC doesn't get excited about much but he was anxiously awaiting our dinner at Jamie Oliver's restaurant. We had reservations a few weeks ahead of time. Tasting menus only but all for a good cause as the profits go to Jamie's apprenticeship scheme. Read more about it here.

My favourite dish was dessert
 Baked Amedei chocolate mousse, crème fraîche and raspberries macerated in black raspberry liqueur
I am fastidious about pics but I was too busy eating and forgot to photograph this.

Good Indian Food



Shopping
David & Goliath store in Covent Garden

Not too many photos
- spent a lot of time in Covert Garden especially at the David & Goliath store

My favourite patterns

Bella & Edward


- tons of cupcake stuff at Paperchase and a few other stores in the lower level of Covent Garden

I found a chain of chocolate shops named Hotel Chocolat


The Eton Mess strawberry truffles were to die for!!

these guys are filled with strawberry mousse

Lastly, in case you thought there wasn't any green space to breathe in London


The Regent's Park - the views of London are much better than my photos
Next we got on a plane to Venice...

Click here to comment.

14 comments:

Sara said...

this blog post looks fantastic!I totally love LONDON!!!!!

Twired Jen said...

TC- Oooh I loved reliving your London trip! I have been 3 times and just adore that city. Your pics from Borough Market brought back memories and made me hungry.

I absolutely enjoy your travel posts and cannot wait to hear about Venice!
Thanks for taking the time to share this with us. Missed you and glad you're back.

xo J

Honolulu Girl-Suz said...

I am DYING over the food. You just about killed me with your photos.

1) I want you to be my travel agent. Like forever.

2) I am glad that you are my roomie, and my Seattle buddy. You are beyond awesome in your ability to seek fun.

Last, I missed you....

Musing Bella said...

I like the point form! I have one question: so, what IS a "BAP"?

Those cupcakes totally reminded me of your monkey ones.

Looks like you had a great time, and I can't wait to read the rest of your posts all about it!! What fun!

twilightcupcake said...

Hi Sara - thanks! I would go back to London in a heartbeat.

@Jen - wow I haven't been that many times yet but there's many years left :) Borough Market is yummy but just so busy. Venice post coming soon.

@HG - I would love to be your travel agent esp if I got to travel with you LOL. I am hoping we'll find good food and fun in Seattle and Forks - happy that you're my roommate too :)

@MB my friend told me a bap is kind of like bread/pita? filled with meat etc. I didn't try it since we were stuffed. Maybe we can ask Rob :)?

Nessa Lomiva said...

Wow, that room looks fabulous. And the bathroom... wow!

Love your loot, as always.

And good to see there was no smoke when you crossed over Iceland. ;)

Good to have you back. It's been weird here without you, that's for sure. Can't wait for the next leg of the trip.

Dangrdafne said...

TC I feel like I fell into the Travel Channel's blog. This post is incredible and your pictures are stunning. I absolutely adore your travel posts and your pictures. You pass along all your good vibes and I love seeing all that you did (and ate in this case). I am so glad you enjoyed London. Can't wait to hear about the rest of the trip :)

mmMoxie said...

Welcome home!

Now I'm hungry.

Anonymous said...

Hi TC! Welcome home...
This post is chuck full of wonderful. I loved all the treats, and the photo over Icelnad is amazing. I also can't stop staring at the Indian Food restaurant photo...it is so pretty! I would have gained 15 pounds on that trip.

17foreverlisa said...

Oh, TC, I've missed you...and your posts!!

Wonderful pictures and narration, as always. I went to Paris and London when I was in high school - way too young to appreciate it. I'd love to go back now, but I would totally have to make Barnes one of my stops.

Can't wait to hear more :)

XOXO

Lisa

TongueTwied said...

those are the most awesome looking petit's I've ever seen.

Now I want to go indulge in treats!Looks like a great start to your trip!

Unknown said...

The much awaited Beach holidays cyprus is going to be reality this year.

looking for investors said...

Bizeso- The world's most visited business,entertainment and social networking site.Find your business partner,investor,franchise quickly,get in touch with friends,bizzing,messaging,blogging,sharing photo,forum,business ideas,arts,video and lots more.

social networking site said...

Bizeso world where we are committed to render best online services to our users. Presently the company is running their all businesses under one name the bizeso group. The company is a leading provider of online recruitment, real estate, b2b activities, online dating services, freelancing, software and web solutions, online business, art, entertainment & business networking site and related services all over the world (business networking)