d h

Twilight, Travel, and Treats

Reflections of a Twihard on all things twilight, travel, and treats.

My sister-in-law JL recently had a baby. You know my friends DQ and JR love throwing a good party so we had a blast. DQ was such a sweetheart she did all the invites and the favours herself.

See how pretty?



Check out these matching hand iced sugar cookies. They were delicious too.



We were ecstatic to welcome a new baby girl into our lives since JR and I both have two sons and DQ's youngest is already three.

By the way, take a look at the menu JR made up. Our preggie girl is a huge fan of Paris so we thought a French food theme was in order.



The food JR made was amazing as always and she managed to make sure even the fancy cheeses were pasteurized and pregnancy friendly.

See the cute wheelbarrow? My father-in-law made that on short notice just for his baby girl. So sweet.

Okay, onto the cupcakes.


Not actually JL's real name :)


I made Coconut Cupcakes - Recipe courtesy of Ina Garten.

This is a tried and true favourite of the mom-to-be. Note - I tried increasing these by 50% - did not work well. I think the ratios must have been off.

Almost considered tossing the lot because I thought they were a bit dense. But the cream cheese frosting saves everything! This recipe makes 30% more frosting than you will need.

Fondant Toppers

JL's favourite colour is blue and her baby room is a wonderful turqouisey teal colour. I was going to make a flat 2D graphic bird. Way too hard for me to cut things out with an exacto or use the Cricut. Actually easier to hand sculpt these guys.




The brown fondant is actually the new Duff's (as in Ace of Cakes from food network) Chocolate fondant at Michael's. Very easy to work with and tastes quite good. I got a kick out of staring at Duff's face while I was working on these.

The birds were inspired by these ones from Wilton's but I actually like mine better.

If I had time I would have toasted the coconut before sprinkling and shaped them into little nests. Alas next time...

Okay another travel post about Florence is coming up this week.

Click here to comment.

9 comments:

LuvsMeSumEdward said...

Yay...I love your cupcake posts! These turned out soo cute! I'm glad to hear Duff's fondant is good, I've been meaning to try it :)

Twired Jen said...

Ooh I bet I would love these...LUV coconut. Yum. You always amaze me.

xo J

twilightcupcake said...

Thanks SD girls. Seems like only us West Coasters are up when I finally post. Glad you like them.

Yes LMSE the Duff fondant was good. Just nuke it for a couple of seconds and it's soft. Very stretchy like MM fondant but yet holds its shape and doesn't melt. Worth using the 40% off Michael's coupon.

LuvsMeSumEdward said...

Awesome! Gotta love that 40% off coupon! Yea, I tried the Wilton fondant once and never again...it was just nasty!

Baby Games said...

wow.. I love your cupcakes.. It looks very delicious and very cute... Hmm.. Yummy..

TongueTwied said...

WOW!!! TC, these cupcakes look Soooooooo good! I'm such a big coconut fan, too. I bet they were fun to make. The wheelbarrow! What a cute idea! And the matching invite/cookies are adorable.

Themed baby showers always make me say "awwwwwww!"

I just recently went to a baby shower where the theme matched the bedding which were birds in branches so the fondant was done on the cake--your cupcakes would have matched. Their cake came out too pretty to eat...but we did! LOL

Amy said...

Glad to see a cupcake post! I used Ina's coconut cake recipe too! It probably didn't come out as good as yours though.

I made some chocolate cupcakes recently, but was totally fail on the frosting. I think I've asked you about this before, but what's a good, somewhat light frosting?

twilightcupcake said...

@TT sounds cute. I wanted to do the same bird on branch theme. Too much work so did these instead.

@Amy I usually use an Italian meringue buttercream with some melted chocolate mixed in at the end. Not heavy and not too sweet.

Dangrdafne said...

Absolutely gorgeous! You and your friends are amazingly creative. Your blue birds are precious and even without your coconut nest they are just perfect. I love how close you and your friends are and am glad you have that it your life.

Thank you for sharing a little personal slice of your life with us.

Can't wait for Florence :)